Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Happiness Tip #2 Getting in touch with your spiritual side

I feel like I should start with a disclaimer...I am not a mental health professional by any stretch of the imagination. I am just as screwed up in the head as anyone else. All I'm doing is sharing what has helped me. It may not be the answer for everyone. So, you know, don't quit any treatments or anything or get mad at me if you still feel crappy. I acknowledge that what works for me might be garbage for someone else.
When I say spirituality I don't strictly mean religion or God....or not God. I feel like I've been through the proverbial emotional wringer the last 10 years or so, so my beliefs were shaken pretty severely...sooo....I don't judge anyone about their choices in this particular arena. For me spiritual means doing something that makes you feel good about yourself. Something that gives you the warm fuzzies. This could be going for a hike in the woods, volunteering to help children/animals/the elderly/the infirm/anyone less fortunate than you, or praying or whatever. Doesn't matter what it is, but I find making the effort to acknowledge your spirit and trying to meet it's needs can be really uplifting. For me, this means celebrating holidays (even if it's just l'il ol' me) with tasty food. Today is Samhain. Or Halloween to you non-pagans. Samhain marked the first day of winter for the pagans. The fruitful season is over and now the dark part of the year is upon us. It's the celtic new year. Supposedly, the distance between the world of the dead and the world of the living grows very short and those who have passed on can intrude on our world. I don't know about that, but I DO know that I like to take this day to remember those that I've loved that are no longer with me and light a candle for them. Maybe even cook something that they loved to eat when they were alive. This can be difficult. Lots of sad emotions can surface, but I do my best to remember the good things and the things that made me laugh instead of getting mired down in missing them. SO! I'm menu planning. Definitely will be making Colcannon (it's traditional) and butternut squash soup. I'm waffling between Shepherd's Pie (because my Nanny made it all the time) and a more traditional pork roast. My grampy loved anything maple flavored and Nanny also used to make scones all the time, so I'm thinking pumpkin scones with a maple glaze and I can get both their personalities in one food item. I also need to use up the apples we got apple picking. Ugh. So many things I want to cook, so little time. I'll have to drink a lot of coffee and stay really motivated.

What are your traditions? What do you do for spiritual well being?
Have a Happy Halloween and a Swell Samhain.
~J

No comments:

Post a Comment