Saturday, December 14, 2013

Butternut Squash Soup

Hello. Two posts in two days. You lucky people.
SO! Today I am under the weather, so I'll be making my favorite soup to warm me up. I forget where I got this recipe. I think it might have been Epicurious. Either way, this is a great soup, free of cream and still incredibly rich and filling. I bought these frozen garlic and ginger pods from Whole Foods and that cuts down on prep time without having to use dried ingredients. I HIGHLY recommend picking them up.

Butternut Squash Soup
2 medium large butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
2-4 cloves garlic depending on your preference
2 tbs fresh grated ginger
2 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs olive oil
1 cinnamon stick
5-6 cups broth. I use low sodium chicken stock, but veggie works just as well
salt and pepper to taste

line a baking sheet with foil and place the squash face down on the sheet. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and cook squash for 50-55 minutes until soft. They will be hot squashy napalm. Take them out and let them cool. While they're cooling add the onion and olive oil to a heavy stock pot and cook the onion over medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and cook another 5 minutes or so until the garlic becomes fragrant. Using a metal spoon, scoop out the insides of the squash and add them to the pot. Add broth until everything is submerged. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. The next part is easier if you have an immersion blender. If you only have a regular blender or a food processor, you'll have to work in batches to puree the soup. Remember to REMOVE YOUR CINNAMON STICK. I forgot once. Cinnamon bark EVERYWHERE. Puree soup and return to stove top. Add salt and pepper to your liking. Add more broth until you reach your desired consistency. I prefer a thicker soup. Cook on medium for another 10-15 minutes, Serve hot.

This is so yummy. AND as a bonus, incredibly healthy. I also like to cook up some chicken sausage and serve that on the side. NOM. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment