Tuesday, October 7, 2014

In which I make a second attempt at keeping up with this and the awful, no good, very bad date.

You know what my problem is? I have a tendency to get all up in my feelings and want to play hermit for 5 months. That's what my problem is. I started this blog initially as an attempt to move away from all that. It was kind of a mixed bag. Mostly reviews of stuff I bought, some recipes and a small smattering of deep thoughts I had. What I'd like to do is create a place for Regular Jills (such as myself) to pop on in, read, get some cute ideas or whatever and then say hey, I'm not alone. No one i perfect or happy all the dang time and that's okay. So, even though I'm taking 10 credits this semester and working full time, I'm going to try to work it out. I've been insanely busy lately. When you only have one day off a week and you want to maintain friendships, you wind up using that day to hang with the people you like and not get your tedious crap done. Like cleaning your house. Or laundry. Or studying. This state of No Rest for the Jilly will persist through this weekend. I have promised good friends I haven't seen in months that I will go drink wine with them. And well, I wouldn't want to disappoint.

I did recently attempt to jump back into the dating thing. I thought I'd try online dating again. The online dating disaster of '08 traumatized me for awhile (I'll have to elaborate at some other time), but I was feeling saucy and thought I'd give it a go. I was duped people. I firmly believe that said fellow had someone typing all his messages to me. Modern day Cyrano D'Bergerac. Because the person I was chatting with and the person I met WERE NOT THE SAME PERSON. They couldn't be. The date started off poorly because he showed up half in the bag. Then he proceeded to insult the things I like as a matter of not being patriotic. Apparently it is not very red, white and blue to drink fancy whiskey, dislike cheap beer, and not care for country music. Not sure if that makes me a communist, but oh well. Whatever. Over the course of the night I also learned he chewed tobacco and at one point he was so hard up for nicotine he thought he's leave me at the bar so he could go seek out some Skoal. I should have let him, frankly, but I insinuated that I thought it would be rude to leave me alone at a bar where I knew no one to go get a nicotine fix. What REALLY bothered me though was what happened when we were poking around a local shop. He tells me to come here and he shows me a video he has on his phone of him introducing some potential candidate for senator. Said candidate takes the podium and goes on and on about what a real American hero he is for being a Veteran. The video stops and he looks at me expectantly as if to say "See?! I'm awesome. I'm a hero.". All I'm thinking is.....Did you just use your status as a veteran to try to pick up chicks? Really? I was extremely put off by this, but I didn't realize until later JUST how put off I was. My future brother-in-law did two tours of Afghanistan, I have dated several veterans, I have family that are veterans, I helped a friend (a veteran) when he needed better medical care to get an appointment at the clinic I work at and then the Doctor and I helped him when the Government tried to dick him out of the healthcare reimbursement he deserves. So, I appreciate the hell out of all veterans everywhere and I would go above and beyond to help any one of them if it was in my power to do so. As far as I was concerned the date was over when he showed me the video. I was pretty disgusted. Fortunately, I had a contingency plan and was meeting my cousin and her friends for a ladies night out. She really saved the day...er.....evening. He took off when she got there and attempted to contact me again the next day. He sort of seemed to think that everything went really well. o_O.....I don't really want to spend the time getting into why it didn't, so I just blocked him on all my social media and on my phone. Which might be a little shitty, I grant you, but this wasn't a long and involved affair, so I don't really feel compelled to spend too much time sorting it out.


I don't know you guys. I'm in a post-bad-date-I'll-never-meet-anyone funk. Imma go have some chocolate. Send me your positive vibes.

No comments:

Post a Comment