Saturday, February 8, 2014

Vegan Protein Smoothie of Deliciousness

Hey there!

It occurs to me that some of you out there might be interested in my kick ass vegan protein smoothie recipe. I have issues with breakfasts at work. I work 7-3:30. Breakfast is usually around 7:30 and lunch isn't until 12. I needed something to tide me over because in the hospital it's not always possible to have a midmorning snack. Especially in the Cancer Center. When my bloodsugar tanks, my hands start to shake. That's bad when you're making IVs. So, I wanted something that would last without being an enormous amount of food and would also be good for me. This is what I came up with after relentlessly searching Pinterest for smoothie recipes. It's seriously delicious, filling and is basically like having a milkshake for breakfast, but full of whole food, unprocessed goodness. I don't measure a damn thing except the protein powder itself. I kind of eyeball the amounts.

I use this protein powder:

I order it from Amazon and it's $17 and change. It lasts a loooong time. It's vegan and it tastes great in the smoothie. I have Amazon prime and this ships free and usually arrives within 48 hours. It's MUCH cheaper than ANYTHING I found to purchase locally of similar quality.

The smoothie:
2 heaping tablespoons of protein powder
1 Tbs almond butter
local bee pollen
1 Tbs flax oil or milled flax seed
mixed frozen berries
vanilla almond milk (I prefer the sweetened Blue Diamond brand)

I dump it all in a bowl and blend it with my immersion blender. I LOVE my immersion blender. It's sweet, but not too sweet and has a great nutty quality from the almond stuff. I use the local bee pollen as an additive to get extra vitamins (LOTS of B vitamins) and help with my allergies. When I drink this for breakfast I can hold out until lunch. I also find that drinking enough water helps too. Lots of times we think we're hungry, when really, we're dehydrated. 

Anyway, if you do try it, let me know what you think! I love it and any protein powder will do, this just happens to be the one I like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment